Good evening lovelies,
Today, I wanted to share with you a recipe that is almost as quick and easy to write up as it is to prepare. I’ve had a pretty hectic week with lots of new babies in my fish tank, so I had to upgrade my fry tank quite suddenly and unexpectedly on Tuesday.
Growing up, Halloween parties were always quite an exciting occasion. We had a mix of ages with both my parents’ friends and our own in attendance for all kinds of antics. One thing that used to delight our younger attendees though, was Witch’s Brew. For the adults, Witch’s Brew was the perfect potion to send the little ones off to sleep while the adults stayed up and talked.
The real magic of Witch’s Brew is twofold. First of all, warm milk has a wonderful effect on the body to soothe and comfort, and peppermint is well known to relax the body when taken as a drink. Between the two, this drink can help have your little devils snoozing off to sleep in no time.
And what about adults, I hear you ask? Well, if you’re like me, then maybe you’re just a little too old for Halloween anymore. Have no fear, Witch’s Brew is perfect for absolutely anyone, however old you are and whatever you decide to get up to. If, like me, that’s a hot mug of Witch’s Brew, the fire lit and your favourite fluffy slippers on, then that’s absolutely cool, too!
This recipe has been made to be vegetarian-friendly, but if you prefer to use almond milk or any other vegan substitutes, feel free to do that also. Whatever you decide to use, make your Witch’s Brew work for you!
Prep time: 10 minutes
For this recipe, you will need:
- 600ml whole or semi-skimmed milk
- 4 teaspoons (20g) granulated sugar
- Alcohol-based peppermint extract (an alcohol base is essential as oil-based flavourings will float on the milk)
- Green liquid food colouring (don’t use gel colouring as it may not dissolve fully)
- Aerosol cream (frequently known as “squirty cream”)
- 4 squares (about 20g) dark chocolate
- Chocolate sauce (optional)
- White mini marshmallows (optional)
- Begin by pouring the milk and sugar into a small saucepan and placing it over a low heat. Heat the milk, stirring gently, until the milk begins to form bubbles on the edges and produces steam. Do not bring the milk to a boil. The milk needs to be warm, but not hot. Keep stirring gently until all of the sugar has dissolved into the milk.
- Once the milk is sufficiently warm, add a few drops of green food colouring and peppermint extract. Go easy and only add a little at a time, stir it through, check the colour and flavour and add a little more if desired. Don’t forget, a little goes a long way!
- Once you are happy with the colour and flavour, remove the milk from the heat and pour it evenly into two coffee mugs – you could also use latte glasses if you really want to show off your magnificent green creation!
- To finish, swirl some aerosol cream on the top of your drink and decorate with chocolate sauce and mini marshmallows, if desired. Finish by grating some dark chocolate over the top. As the aerosol cream dissolves, your minty green concoction will show through. With any luck, then by the time that happens, your Witch’s Brew will already be working its magic.